Happy Year of the Dragon - which symbolizes power, prosperity, honor and success - huzzah!

Here I am looking like I've just said something pithy - but I'm actually savoring a delicious cocktail at a bar with a pretty background... in Iceland. We went on an epic trip last September for my birthday - pre volcanic eruptions - and also explored Norway, Amsterdam and London.

Back when I was doing my one-woman shows I would promote myself shamelessly, at all hours of the day in venues around the world. Nowadays, I eschew cringy self-regard and prefer to write and daydream in my office in Pasadena (or as we call it in our house, “Punkadena”), the birthplace of the cheeseburger. But here goes... 

One thing that hasn't changed is my passion for writing mischievous, sexy, strong and flawed female characters, and pen what I like to call, "traumadies." 

2023 had some professional boons despite the WGA and SAG strikes. I was interviewed on Pilar Alessandra's "On the Page" podcast about creating community - you can listen here:  https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/on-the-page/id262077408?i=1000633587591


The Podcast trend continued when I was hired to be part of the writers' room for a narrative podcast called, "Bonnie Screws Up" out later this year.

My feature comedy, SILICON SALLY, was selected to represent the IWC (Independent Writers Caucus) "Best Of for 2024" - check out THE LIST:

It also made the top 1% on Coverfly this past September, which is pretty cool:

I collaborated with a friend and talented writer, Nathan Fleetwood, on an epic feature called, FIREBREAK, based on true events, but lots of made up ones as well. Logline: When an aged-out female journalist chases a story on male convict firefighters, she finds herself at the center of a catastrophic wildfire… and violent prison break. We're proud of the script and look forward to partnering with climate-focused production companies, and producers who want to shine a light on older, female action heroes.


Once again, THE BRAID theater chose one of my pieces for their salon series and they included an older piece as well! It’s always exciting to see the work performed in front of a live audience. I love the work this company does and I look forward to developing new material and sharing it with them.


My one-act play, SIZZLER, was published with Next Stage Press alongside some fellow WGA women. You can still purchase copies - Logline: What happens when a teen girl runs away from home and hides out at her best friend’s house for a few days?


I received a scholarship to develop my work at THE GOOD WORD WRITER’S RETREAT in Patmos, Greece, which was an amazing experience. I learned so much from my mentor, Jen Grisanti, and made wonderful new writer friends, whom I hope to work with in the future.


A few weeks throughout the year I hole up in a cabin at the Dorland Mountain Arts Colony. I love the seclusion and the beauty, and find I can write upwards of 10 hours a day there. I’m excited to develop new material, and look forward to collaborating with others as well. https://www.dorlandartscolony.com/
 
I've completed the pilot for my TV series, THE SOLICITOR, which is loosely based on my years in legal - plus it’s steamy, sexy and ready for prime time! Lemme know if you’d like to read it and I’ll happily send it to you.

And I got back to my dance 💃 roots and choreographed a cool number for the finale in John Weiner’s Micro-Budget Mystery feature film, starring a stellar cast including Toby Huss (COPSHOP, DICKENSON, HALT & CATCH FIRE), Annie Wood (GOOD LUCK CHUCK, MY SISTER'S KEEPER), Michael Burke (TED BUNDY, THE COLLECTOR, VICE), and John Weiner. Coming to theaters later this year! 


Currently, I’m profiled on the
WGA Committee of Women Writers List and available to get staffed on a series, hired for original or IP scripts or rewrites.

In 2024 I plan to:

- Direct my short film, LET HIM GO
- Stage my full-length dramedy play, THE DYSFUNCTION-STEINS
- Option my features, SILICON SALLY & BOOMERANGS
- Sell my crime drama, BIO-ILLOGICAL, as a podcast, and
- Write a new feature - ELIJAH - a psychological drama (IP based on the life rights of my best friend) about how lies on social media almost took their beautiful family down.

But it's not all work - my partner in crime and I enjoy creating delicious recipes, traveling, snuggling our Sheepadoodle, and hanging with our adult children (they're a lot more fun now that they're adults). 

Here’s to a happy, healthy Year of the Dragon to you and your families!

Peace, love and ciao for now!
Ellen
aintnoladyprods@gmail.com

Comments